[thechat] New Year's resolution

Seth Bienek seth at sethbienek.com
Thu Dec 13 13:03:52 CST 2001

> if you choose to buy a shrink wrapped version of Mandrake or RedHat
> though, they should come with a fair amount of documentation as well
> that will help out..

+1

As a self-confessed linux moron, I am happy to say that I was able to install Mandrake linux without incident.  Your results may vary.  But it was really, very easy.  I even did the "advanced setup" thingy!

If you have sufficient bandwidth, I highly reccommend downloading the 3 CD images and burning them.. The "bootable cd" approach is definitely the way to go, as far as ease-of-install goes!

Find your neighborhood mandrake mirror here:
http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/ftp.php3#iso

Then be prepared to wait, even if you have a fat pipe.  The total D/L is over 1.5 gig.

Alternatively, you can buy Mandrake and get it on nice screen-printed CD's complete with printed manual.  Not worth the hundred bucks if you ask me, but if you don't have the capacity to get/burn the ISO's then that may be your only option.  Ad least when you *pay* for it, they send you 8 cd's crammed with goodies, though the three I got seem to have quite a bit of good stuff on them - certainly everything you'll need, minus StarOffice.

I like the penguin game the best so far.