[thechat] Red Hat keeps locking

Chris and Danielle Johnston cdjohnston4 at rogers.com
Thu Dec 13 19:13:10 CST 2001

>Ya, try hitting those terms when its running the upgrade.. If it locks
>up before you can do that, change to them before it locks up if you
can..

The upgrade was done several months ago

>ximian has *known* issues with upgrading from 7.1 to 7.2. if you can't
>find out any other usefull info, boot into your still working 7.1, and
>uninstall all the ximian stuff you put on there to get evolution. once
>thats done, reboot, upgrade to 7.2 and re-install evolution.

Exactly what are the issues?

>this isn't a linux prob BTW, its pure ximian.. :(

I think I am going to try reinstalling everything including the OS. The
computer has been running fine for the last several months and then all
of a sudden...

Oh well. I have not done a whole lot with the computer yet and wiping
the hard drive and reinstalling might not be a bad thing to do. Put this
down to learning what not to do and try again fresh and try to do it
right this time. I won't be losing anything if I go this route.

So, you don't suggest running Ximian on top of Red Hat then? What
desktop do you run or which desktop do you suggest, the standard Gnome
desktop that ships with Red Hat?

/chris