[thechat] Specifying Colors

Joe Crawford jcrawford at avencom.com
Fri Dec 14 16:51:11 CST 2001

Salvatore Palmisano wrote:

> This might qualify as marginally off-topic for thelist, so Im starting here:
>
> Why are some colors used in CSS pages only 3 digits?
> (#ccc instead of #cccccc or #cc9 instead of #cccc99)

Not sure why - but it's a nice shorthand:
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/syndata.html#color-units

> Using cc9 implies that it'll replace left of digit one with the first digit,
> and right of digit three with the third digit.
> Is this right, or is there some other convention for using these shortened
> values?

yes, that's right. each one is added -- so #cc9 is indeed expanded to
#cccc99.

<tip type="snapple">
peach snapple goes very well with a dry salami sub!

(I'm enjoying a late lunch right now and can't think of anything better.)
</tip>

	- joe <http://artlung.com/>