[thechat] pilot's license, anyone?

Warden, Matt mwarden at mattwarden.com
Wed Dec 26 20:02:41 CST 2001

I was dead-set on getting my pilot's license (or "flight
certificate" or whatever the hell the "proper" term for it is). I've
always liked the flights to a vacation location better than the vacation
itself. And I am *dying* to see what it's like to fly sitting in the
cockpit, going head-on into clouds, geese, etc.

So, I call up the local regional airport (they're ALL over the place
around here (south-western Ohio) -- the joke with the locals is that when
you drive down one of the main highways, you'll pass two McDonald's
resturaunts and three regional airports). They send me a bunch of stuff on
classes. Turns out, it'll be around $2700 to get enough instruction and
flight hours to get a license. I've talked to a few people who already
have their license and they all say it's well worth it... and that local
companies (like GE, etc.) even love to see that on a resume.

I was wondering if any of you have a license and what you think about
it. They also have a intro class that's an hour on the ground and an hour
on one of their "press here to fly" planes. That would get me the
experience I want and it's only $55, but... damn... i want that license.

Any thoughts?

thanks,

--
mattwarden