[thechat] pilot's license, anyone?

spinhead evolt at spinhead.com
Thu Dec 27 09:15:36 CST 2001

Our unix guru is a pilot, just recently certified to fly on instruments. You
can tell which days she's flying 'cause the whole day, it's like she's had
way too much caffiene. She's absolutely delirious. This is from someone who
reminds me more of a librarian than anyone I've met. She loves flying. But,
yeah, like Dave says, it's EXPENSIVE.

My dad was in the air force before he met my mom. He spent three years in
Alaska as the radio operator (and occasional pilot) on a rescue plane, a
Ford Tri-Motor. His stories of flying along just above the surface of the
water, then climbing UP to land on ice pack to pick someone up were one of
the most exciting things I experienced as a child. I realize he actually
spent most of those three years strapped in a seat, looking out a tiny
little window, but he was looking at Alaska from the air and I don't think
he ever really got over it.

If I had the money, I'd fly. My brother took lessons for a while, and
although he's normally pretty eloquent, he couldn't describe the feeling
except to say it's exactly like you imagine, only more.

joel
"If life's just a living room, then I'm in the hall"
-- David Gray