[thechat] LOTR!

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Thu Dec 27 13:46:44 CST 2001

On 27 Dec 2001 at 10:51, iris posted a message which said:
> a friend took her 10 year old son and he told her off
> when she tried to cover his eyes when it got too
> scary.  he said he knows he'll have nightmares but
> it's well worth it.

It was the late 1950s, and I was probably five when my sister and her
boyfriend took me with them to the drive-in theatre. I fell asleep in
the back seat, and woke up to see the star of the movie racing about
his home, fire everywhere, and no way to escape it.

I had nightmares for months. Hell, I *still* have those same
nightmares.

One should never take a little kid to a scarey movie. And you
*especially* want to beware of the one that traumatized me. (And I
*still* can't figure out why people name their baby girls after a
*male* deer.  The female version of that name would be Bamba.)

deke
--------
We are the parents our people warned us about....