[thechat] LOTR!

Joe Crawford jcrawford at avencom.com
Thu Dec 27 13:54:56 CST 2001

deke wrote:

> One should never take a little kid to a scarey movie.

:-\

More importantly is to stress that movies are "pretend" - they are
fiction, not really happening, fake, simulacra. It was always a great
comfort me to realize that the shark in Jaws is *pretend* - that Darth
Vader, while evil - is *pretend.* Even things like the Exorcist, when
couched as "pretend" are much more palatable.

As to little kids and scary things - depends on the kid and the
circumstance. Age is a factor, but not the only one.

Another thing my folks always taught me was that it is perfectly fine to
walk out of a movie. You don't like it, or it's too much for you, GET OUT.

Teaching a child that certain things are /false/ is quite comforting
somehow.

	- Joe <http://artlung.com/blog/>