[thechat] Genetically Superior M&Ms

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at compaq.com
Fri Dec 28 12:34:44 CST 2001

Seen the M&M one before - thought it was pretty neat.  (... and did an
informal poll at the time to confirm that I am not the only wackadoodle
who eats M&Ms by color ... saving the (once rare) green and red ones for
last.)     ;-)

Anyway, [speaking of lives] .... A while back there was a (US)
television advertisement for Chips Ahoy cookies that boasted something
along the lines of "Now with an average of [x] chips per cookie!".
Naturally a statement like that can't go unchallenged!  A selfless
statistics professor from the University of Akron plopped himself down
in front of the TV on a sunday afternoon [to watch the Browns game] ...
with a bag or two of Chips Ahoy cookies, a clipboard, and a large empty
bowl.  He crumpled each cookie in turn and counted up the chocolate
chips - tallying the results as he went along.

I believe the verdict was that the advertising was correct.

Ah ... the untold lengths of suffering we 'math' folks will dare ...  to
apease our muse!

RonL.
(who once worked with a different guy who taught Stat at Akron - from
whom he heard the story.)
{No cookies were harmed in the retelling of this tale!}