[thechat] RE: [Theforum] waaaaaaay OT -- snow

Bob Davis bobd at members.evolt.org
Thu Jan 3 20:19:12 CST 2002

At 7:32 PM -0600 1/3/02, Bruce Heerssen wrote:

>I was amused to see the number of brand new FWD SUVs that had slid
>off of the highway. There were at least 10 of them along my route.
>Why are so many SUV owners bad drivers?

It's not necessarily that they are bad drivers. Most folks in SUV's
just plain forget that they're not impervious to weather and physics.
Living in NH, I'd see similar numbers of SUV's in ditches after
snows. They think , just because they can go up hills that "normal"
cars can't,  that they are invincible. They forget about turning,
stopping, tall tires that take forever to react, brakes that don't
let you feel anything, power steering that is so pumped up that you
have no idea of where the wheels are pointed, etc. etc.

In short, they just don't pay attention and they drive too fast.

Of course, there are, I suspect, people who buy SUV's because they
know that they are bad drivers and want to feel "safe" (ignoring the
fact that they just became a danger to others) and want a lot of
protection around them (ignoring the fact that it's just more weight
to stop, turn, etc....all the stuff Newton talked about).

Um...I kind of feel a rant coming on, so I'm just going to stop here....

;)

bob
--
bob davis