[thechat] LOTR locations

Ben Dyer ben_dyer at imaginuity.com
Fri Jan 4 15:28:46 CST 2002

On 03:12 PM 1/4/2002, Judah McAuley said to me:
>At 03:03 PM 1/4/2002 -0600, Ben Dyer expounded...
>>I plan on auctioning off most of my VHS tapes at some point this year
>>(while I can still get something for them). Or maybe not, they'll
>>probably be collectors items someday. :)
>
>Be careful about auctioning off all your VHS tapes, some of those may
>never come out on DVD.  Just like some great music originally issued on
>vinyl never made it to CD.

This is true.  I need to go through my collection and find out which are
available on DVD (in case I want to buy it again).  I'm to the point now
that my VCR isn't even hooked up anymore.  It sits very forlorn-looking in
the corner now.

>For instance, I just had to break down and buy Rosencrantz & Guildenstern
>Are Dead on VHS from Amazon.uk because it is out of print in the U.S.  Now
>I have to get the tape converted to NTSC format so I can actually watch
>it.  All because some studio decided it wasn't worth it to keep it in
>print or put it out on DVD.  And this is a movie that's not too old
>(1990), from a well know director (Tom Stoppard), starring two well known
>actors (Tim Roth and Gary Oldman).

Of course, if I had a Quicksilver G4, I could dump the video into iMovie
and then burn it to a DVD...hmmmm, there's a thought for my old
videos.  Obviously not the same quality, but I wouldn't need the VCR
anymore. :)

--Ben

http://www.imaginuity.com/