[thechat] Accessing MP3's remotely

nate koechley nate at vicksburgcollective.com
Tue Jan 8 15:39:17 CST 2002

hey chris,

i'm not sure of your specific firewall issues, but if you can get to your
box (ip/web) from outside...

This might be a nice approach:
http://freshmeat.net/projects/andromeda/

I was able to set it up in approx 3 minutes (two small localization tweaks
to the php files), and then point it at your music directory, and it does
the rest. allows for point and click streaming, on-the-fly playlist
creation (by song, or directory), etc...

i never got super into it, but it claims to do users, skins, languages,
search, etc. (actually, the search did work for me, come to think of it.)

cheers
nate

ps: no affiliation.
><snip>

>I'm looking for ideas on software that will let
>me browse and listen my my MP3's over the 'net.  I'd like to stay away from
>anything like FTP or Kazaa that make me download a local copy first.  I
>considered using Samba and just mapping drives over the internet, but the
>security implications make me shudder.

</snip>