[thechat] Now what! (Microsoft investigating alleged flaw in IE browser)

Daniel J. Cody djc at starkmedia.com
Tue Jan 8 22:47:02 CST 2002

Olly Hodgson wrote:

>>>Three cheers for Opera, Mozilla, Konqueror, Galeon and Netscape!
>>>
>>And a shout out for OpenOffice6, (the beta version is fantastic and final
>>version is due out in a couple of months) and Evolution (which just rocks
>>generally).
>>
>>So, lets see....that's browsing, office apps, and email/calendaring/
>>groupware taken care of.
>>
>>Someone tell me why people still use Windows again?
>>

> Games (Although Unreal Tourney and Q3A are on Linux are they not?),
> Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Solitaire, Windows Update, hardware manufacturer
> support, and the fact that its so damn easy to set up, use, and look after!

UT, Q3 and tribes 2 are the first big cross platform games for linux,
yes.. photoshop = GIMP(ya ya, some don't like it mostly because its
*not* photoshop) dreamweaver = ?, solitaire = 10's of clones(but not as
many microsoft certified solitaire consultants playing ;), most hardware
has support faster and more reliable on linux than win(most, not all)
and it is easy to set up, a breeze too look after(apt-get mmmm..), and
use - once you get used to it(saying that about linux is the same as
saying a Mac would be hard for a windows person to use.. its just
getting used to it)

> I dont want to have to recompile the kernel every time I change the
> slightest thing. Silly silly silly! Someone has to come up with a Home User

you dont :)

> Linux where all the scary CLI stuff is hidden (except for advanced users)
> Windows stylee. Corel Linux came pretty close, but I'm not sure if thats
> still in development. QNX is fairly easy to set up and use too. Lets see
> what Lindows can do shall we?

Mandrake 8.1 my friend.. faster, easier,prettier, more stable, better
support than corel linux had.. qnx is more of an embedded OS too

Linux, as has been said before, is as much as anyone is willing to put
into it. If one enjoys being spoonfed, installing 2 security patches a
month, and general sloth - stck with win :)

thats my bi-monthly hardcore anti-MS rant :)