[thechat] What Linux Apps WAS: Now what!

Jeremy Ashcraft ashcraft at 13monkeys.com
Wed Jan 9 11:18:01 CST 2002

On Wed, 2002-01-09 at 05:21, Mike King wrote:

> email

Evolution, and I love it!

> browsers

mainly Mozilla, but Konqueror every so often

> news reader

I search the Google archives :)

> irc client

XChat, GAIM, BitchX

> instant message client (all types icq/yahoo/aim etc)

GAIM! - http://gaim.sourceforge.net

its pretty sweet, hooks into all the major IM systems

> word processor, spreadsheet or office style packages.

OpenOffice mostly.  I've been know to dabble with Abiword and Gnumeric

> I'm not completely ready to swap over yet, 'cause I keep killing any linux
> box that I use by playing with it too much (but that's how I learnt
> DOS/Win3.1/Windows98/WinNT/Win2k... so I'm not giving up.)

I switched over when I got fed up with how shitty my Win3.1 PC was compared to our Sun
boxen in the computer labs at school.  (CDE was the shit!).  you can always dual boot?

For those who think installation is hard, try installing Debian 1.3 or
RedHat4.2 (all text, no hardware detection).  Now THAT was a pain in the

--

jeremy
http://www.webhack.com