[thechat] Now what!

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Wed Jan 9 11:36:48 CST 2002

Why Microsoft?

'Tis the little puzzley piece logo... you know how the little puzzle
pieces fit together... if you get lots of MS applications it's like
that.  One fits with the other, but they are just enough broken so
they don't fit with anything else.

And cheap computers.. when the big tech explosion was happening, you
could get (or put together) a good PC for $4-600 while you were
looking at ... I don't know... 2k for a Mac.  & Linux was/is for
geeks.

The iMac changed much... but a lot of people were already hooked into
the Windows thing.

At one time, there were many OS's.  My dad bought a C/PM machine over
an Apple in 1982 because he believed C/PM would be the business
machine of the future.  A few months later, Microsoft was selling the
C/PM copycat DOS on IBM machines & C/PM was on its way out.

5 years ago so many people were saying farewell to Apple.  So certain
were they, that all other operating systems would just fade away...
that Microsoft would be everything to everyone...

willen</de> I don't think it will.

unity + diversity

Erika