Fwd: [thechat] Silk?

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Thu Jan 10 15:41:57 CST 2002

Joe wrote:

>I think she uses shortening now? They're not as flexible, but still
>pretty good.
>
>No substitute for a proper fresh tortilla though.

I think Crisco is the hydrogenated vegetable oil version of lard.
Which brings us back to hydrogenation.

so, hey, maybe lard is better?

When I first made frybread, I used Crisco to fry it, 'cause that's
how it was shown to me.  But I quickly learned that vegetable oil not
only works as well (for frybread) but doesn't get all icky when the
bread cools.

yeast frybread is better than baking soda frybread.
sopapillas remind me of frybread.

I never have made tortillas.  I did have a Spanish-American
boyfriend, but we were in Nevada & his family in New Mexico, so the
tortilla-making pressure was reduced.  But had it *really* gotten
serious (if we were talking marriage) I'd have had to do that
tortilla thing.

But I was really in love with my daughter's dad.  So therefore I know
how to prepare traditional smoked salmon & eels, how to gather,
prepare & twine baskets out of willow or hazel sticks, spruce/pine
root, beargrass, woodwardia & maidenhair fern... how to gather
prepare tanoak acorns as food...

& how to make frybread.... okay, I need the recipe for the
frybread... but the rest I can do from my heart.