[thechat] P.o.Ws - Thought this was interesting...

Norman Beresford n.beresford at anansi.co.uk
Sun Jan 27 08:00:01 CST 2002

Actually Ron

"A. Prisoners of war, in the sense of the present Convention, are
 persons belonging to one of the following categories, who have fallen
 into the power of the enemy:"

"1. Members of the armed forces of a Party to the conflict as well as
   members of militias or volunteer corps forming part of such armed
   forces."

The important bit being militias or volunteer corps.

And anyway

"Should any doubt arise as to whether persons, having committed a
 belligerent act and having fallen into the hands of the enemy, belong
 to any of the categories enumerated in Article 4, such persons shall
 enjoy the protection of the present Convention until such time as
 their status has been determined by a competent tribunal."

and AFAIK there has been no "competent tribunal".

I'm just glad that some members of the US government now want the Camp X-Ray
prisoners classified as POWs.  You can't have a just war waged with no
regard for human rights.

Just my 2p worth

Norman