[thechat] P.o.Ws - Thought this was interesting...

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Sun Jan 27 11:22:00 CST 2002

On Sunday, January 27, 2002, at 01:53  pm, Norman Beresford wrote:

> I'm just glad that some members of the US government now want the Camp
> X-Ray
> prisoners classified as POWs.

And besides, the other two alternatives are:
1) Criminal suspects... so they should be treated with the rights
accorded
    to such
2) Abductees... y'know, the thing that the US is quick (and right) to
condemn
     oppressive regimes for.

> You can't have a just war waged with no
> regard for human rights.

Absolutely. I know that a lot of rhetoric in the US has been along
the lines of "treat them as they [allegedly] would treat us", but wasn't
the point of the war to prevent that kind of behaviour? If the
US loses its moral high ground and behaves in the manner of
a terrorist organisation, shouldn't the rest of the world then declare
war on it?

And if it behaves as such, how will it avoid being hated in the
future?

Oh yeah, that's logic. Not something which has really featured
in US foreign policy over the centuries.

Cheers
Martin
   tel:	+44 (0)774 063 9985				Edinburgh,