[thechat] P.o.Ws - Thought this was interesting...

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Mon Jan 28 13:15:00 CST 2002

At 11:33 PM 1/28/2002, Martin mah man wrote:

>Didn't America make some claims to having *learned* how not to
>do things..?
>
> > :-)
>
>dat too

You speaking Ebonics now, Martin? :P

What's always pissed me off about US foreign policies, actions, and general
attitude is the "we're the greatest, we're the leaders of the free world,
we're saintly" attitude while at the same time doing what it bloody well
pleases.

I mean, to call oneself the "leader of the free world" (in those many
words) reeks of a superiority complex. No thanks, I don't *want* them as my
leader.

For example, take the India-Pakistan tension. One of our newspapers (The
Times of India, btw, is the largest selling English broadsheet newspaper in
the *world* - we poor 'Third World' Indians) had the headline "Bush urges
India to exercise restraint". And I said to myself, "these guys can go bomb
any damn part of the world without any 'restraint' (or even declaring a
formal war, for that mater), but *India* must exercise restraint? How's
that for double standards?"
(I'm not in favour of an India-Pakistan war, but it's the US attitude I'm
talking about.)

Regards,

Madhu

<tip type="Thai food" author="Madhu Menon">

http://www.thaitable.com/ has some of the best Thai food recipes. What I
really like are the excellent photos that show you the various stages of
cooking. Check it out.

And if you want some wonderful Pad Thai, drop in at my house in Bangalore,
India. ;)

Trivia: Pad Thai is not really very authentic Thai cuisine. It literally
means "Noodles Thai style". For something to be called "Thai" in Thailand
is pretty strange. That's because it was the creation of Chinese
businessmen who moved to Thailand and started seasoning their stir-fried
noodles with Thai seasonings.

</tip>

Madhu Menon
User Experience Consultant