[thechat] P.o.Ws - Thought this was interesting...

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Mon Jan 28 14:33:00 CST 2002

For some reason, it seems that American citizens are able to exert
very little influence on foreign policy.  Can anyone recall a time
where American citizens were asked to vote on anything having to do
with foreign policy?

It's sort of a Catch-22 because as a whole, we're a pretty uneducated
nation, and so I'm not sure whether democratizing our foreign policy
would do much good.  This is a society built on self-righteousness &
might makes right.

Critical thinking is not something that is encouraged of the
populace.  Critical thinking would interfere with our voluntary
enslavement to the shitstem.

Much easier just to swallow the TV tripe the leggy media blondes feed
us, or ignore it all and fret about the sexual activities of our
favorite celebrity.

And then shit, someone takes down a big building with a few thousand
people inside, and we pay attention for a few weeks.... gosh, gee,
how did this happen?

Well I don't know, but we can fix it, right?  Yep, we'll bomb the
crap out of a country, overthrow a government, set up a new one, and
it's back the same old  "way of life."

How many children are starving in Afghanistan?  What's up with the
Caspian oil?  What is going down with our drug war in Colombia?  I
don't know, but when the founder of Wendy's hamburgers died, it was
front-page news.

Often I feel so helpless, so like the rest, I just seek to escape.
Sex, drugs, rock n' roll, whatever it takes.

Rock n' roll is the best thing America have to offer the world,
really.  It comes from the blues: pain, longing, oppression,
rebellion, desire...  some things cannot be changed, but at least we
can forget about it while we're dancing.

And in the end....
what goes around comes around.