[thechat] P.o.Ws - Thought this was interesting...

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at COMPAQ.com
Mon Jan 28 15:27:01 CST 2002

Hi Erika,

Several good and interesting points ... although I think I'm sensing a
kind of metatopic undercurrent here more along the lines of 'elitism vs
democracy'. {A very very old issue - much, long, often and heatedly
debated among the founding fathers and many others.}

It would be nice if everyone were thoroughly and unslantedly informed on
all topics and important issue - but they aren't.  So ... basically ...
should they have any say at all ... and, if not, how do we
"credentialize" those who do have a say?

[Although Georgetown and American's 'schools of international service'
may come close - last I heard the US was the only major power without a
specialized school for diplomats and foreign service personnel.]

Aside.  I have to confess ... I found your [paraphrased] 'leggy blonde
tripe server'... one of the oddest - yet most stunningly succinct
descriptions of Peter Jennings I've ever heard!  I think he should put
that on his resume!

Think Free! ... or argue!

RonL.

{"Can anyone recall a time where American citizens were asked to vote on
anything having to do with foreign policy?"  [Does the straw vote I took
in the car full of drunken college students on whether or not to pelt
Henry Kissinger's house with stolen Brussels spouts count?]}

[Sorry - your post was thoughtful and serious - I'm a tad stressed today
and looking for an outlet ... no offence intended.]