[thechat] Fucked Up US Educational System.

Joe Crawford jcrawford at avencom.com
Tue Jan 29 14:05:00 CST 2002

Ron White wrote:

> You can't use current statistics to say whether my idea is valid or not,
> because the profession as a WHOLE is underpaid, so the best and the
> brightest do not generally choose it. If the average starting salary of a
> teacher was 40K you would see more quality people going into the field, it's
> simple cause and effect.  Better quality of teachers, better education.

Fact is, education is fucked up royally in the USA. Mediocre and
(underfunded|spends money stupidly|both) and bedrocked on a conception
of education that is more 19th Century that 21st. The whole system needs
to be gutted and remade, because it's clearly broken.

Check this:
http://www.theatlantic.com/unbound/interviews/int2001-11-28.htm

We need more people to experience high school as it is, and see how it
works or does not work.

	- joe <http://artlung.com/>