[thechat] P.o.Ws - Thought this was interesting...

Dean Mah dmah at shaw.ca
Tue Jan 29 14:20:00 CST 2002

Ben Dyer writes:

> On 02:00 PM 1/29/2002, Dean Mah said to me:
> >And you get people that go into the field just because the pay is
> >supposedly high and they have no passion or interest in the profession
> >as a whole.  They have no desire to make the profession better or to
> >pass on their experience.  They have no dedication to quality.  Which,
> >in many cases, is what has happened in the computing industry.
>
> This doesn't seem likely to every happen, however.
>
> Most teachers want nothing more than to be paid fairly, which just
> isn't happening.

Out of curiousity, what is paid fairly?

My wife and I both work in the computing field and our starting
salaries were at the same level as teachers, i.e., around $30K CAD.
We had, as far as I can tell, fewer benefits and less holidays.  And
up until this year, I never made more than $40K USD and I've been in
the industry for 8 years.

Dean