[thechat] Mandrake Linux

Andrew Forsberg andrew at thepander.co.nz
Tue Jan 29 16:04:01 CST 2002

>  > What's the grep command look like that you are using?  The form is:
>>
>>     grep pattern [files]
>
>Thanks for the replies, could you define what you mean by pattern?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=grep+patterns

:-)

It's an arcane art. If you can tell us what you're trying to look for
then I'm sure someone can give you an example.

>  > I'm guessing your partitions are:
>>
>>     hda0 - /
>>     hda6 - swap space
>
>Yeah, but it seems to have taken 1 Gig as swap space, I was under the
>impression that swap space is supposed to be about twice the size of your
>RAM, of which I have 128 meg. And I am confused as to why it is labeling it
>HDA6 instead of HDA1.

1 GB is a lot! hda6 for the swap partition (at least, in most of the
*nixs I've used) is traditional. The other slots might be taken (but
aren't in this case) by /usr /home /var /boot /usr/local etc etc...
Perhaps someone could suggest a way to decrease the swap partition
and use the extra space to create a /var partition... but I think
you're out of luck (bar reinstalling the whole thing) when it comes
to increasing your / partition.

>also I
>wrote some code to the bashrc file that should give me a prompt if I try to
>overwrite something (I believe I got this from linux.org), but that isn't
>working either.

What are you calling the script? And where did you put it?

>I am at that horrible newbie stage where I am unsure if it
>is me being stupid or the machine :)

Join the club! I feel like that most days.

>Kevin Stevens
>kjs at ratking.co.uk

Cheers
Andrew