[thechat] skools

Dean Mah dmah at shaw.ca
Tue Jan 29 17:33:01 CST 2002

Joe Crawford writes:

> Do I give a fuck if my surgeon (sheesh, I'm a potty mouth today!)
> has excitement and enthusiasm for their profession? No, I care if
> they can reattach my arm properly.

I'd care because to me, if you don't like what you're doing, I'm
assuming that you don't care about doing a good job.  Are you willing
to go the extra mile when you don't like what you are doing?  Do you
want the arm reattached but with no feeling or someone who takes the
care to restore the nerves as well?  (Stupid scenario, I know, but
hopefully gets my point across.)

Does money motivate you to do a better job than you would otherwise?
For me, it doesn't.

> It's a hopeful view, but that's not how everyone is motivated. For
> some people, they are driven by family/spouse/children, and their
> job is a secondary feature of their lives. The job is simply a means
> to an end. I can't say I object to this point of view outright.

 From personal experience, I think that you do yourself and your family
a disservice if you work in a job that you do not like.  You can end
up making them miserable as you are through stress, complaining,
resentment, etc.

But if the job is a means to an end, why not take a higher paying job?
Why go into, for our discussion, teaching?  Of course, we're off on a
tangent now.

Dean