[thechat] dosh?

Andrew Forsberg andrew at thepander.co.nz
Thu Jan 31 14:20:00 CST 2002

Martin said:
>>Most of the NZ vocabulary originates from the UK, but this morning my
>>partner and I settled a long running debate re: daddy-long-legs --
>>are they spiders or insects? (insects have to have six legs?... lol)
>>:)
>
>Yeah, the UK one is a Crane Fly - 6 legs & wings.

Unfortunately the argument was: "daddy-long-legs (pointing at a
spider) can't be spiders because they have six legs and they're not
shaped the right way." Thank you Oxford Concise Dict.

At 11:50 AM -0800 31/1/02, Judah McAuley wrote:
>In the US we usually call that a Crane Fly or Mosquito Eater.  I call it a
>Tipulidae, but that's because I'm weird and I think it's a neat genus name.

V. cool name!

It's been a really hot summer, the cicadas are out in force, and
we're heading to Hunua Falls for a horse camp -- some of those
Mosquito Eaters would come in extremely handy.

Cheers
Andrew