[thechat] Trek was 'Scape

iris laren4 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 2 07:41:00 CST 2002

--- Ron White <ronwhite at members.evolt.org> wrote:
> I don't think Janeway was all that militant. Janeway
> only used force as a
> last resort most times. Now Kirk, he was militant...

totally disagree.  kirk was, yes, but janeway was too.
 she always shoots first before she tries anything
else.  often i used to say, 'picard would have never
done that'.

i see it as an expression of the general trend during
the 90s towards militarism, similar to the world-wide
trend towards militarism at the turn of the last
century (1900, i mean), which eventually led to 2
world wars.  well, america is at war right now, so i
don't think i'm too far off with my analisys.

just look at how sci fi changed over the last 30
years, expressing the general state of mind of the
population.  from the utopian, green 70s where aliens
were our friends and came to earth to save us, to
'independence day' and janeway in the 90s.  aliens
aren't our friends any more, and anybody who still has
any hippy notions about this gets blown up first like
in independence day.  these notions are now seen as
naive and stupid.  i have't seen much positive sf in
the last few years.

iris

=====