[thechat] Monitor sizes in USA

Shirley Kaiser skaiser1 at skdesigns.com
Sat Feb 2 17:20:00 CST 2002

At 01:34 PM 2/2/2002, you typed:

>On Saturday, February 2, 2002, at 06:37  pm, Shirley Kaiser wrote:
>
>>Typical middle-of-the-road computer packages have 17" monitors and set
>>at
>>1024x768 resolution. Typical middle-of-the-road computer packages with
>>flatscreen monitors are 15" and also set at 1024x768 resolution.
>
>Remembering that because CRTs measure their size diagonally
>across the tube, not the viewable portion, 15" Flatscreen's about the
>same size as 17" CRT.
>
>Trading Standards in the UK mean that CRTs sold to consumers
>have to quote the viewable size too (although it's usually in tiny
>tiny characters)
>
>Cheers
>Martin

Hi, Martin,

Hey, that's an excellent point.

I also just got my 15" flatscreen monitor set up for my synthesizer and
recording stuff. Now that the new monitor is away from all the other ones
at the store, it's really a nice screen size indeed. And it takes up almost
no space, either (which is why I went for the flatscreen type).

I'm used to working on a 19" regular Sony Trinitron Multiscan monitor, so I
was a little concerned about the 15" flatscreen size that looked so small
sitting next to the larger ones at the store, of course (good marketing to
buy a bigger one at the store, huh?!). However, it's really a nice size for
its purpose and definitely comparable to the 17" CRT.

Martin, thanks again for mentioning that, as it really makes a huge
difference thinking about those sizes like that.

Warmly,
Shirley

Shirley E. Kaiser, M.A.,  SKDesigns  mailto:skaiser1 at skdesigns.com
Web Site Design, Development     http://www.skdesigns.com/