[thechat] Monitor sizes in USA

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Mon Feb 4 14:37:02 CST 2002

At 11:34 PM 2/3/2002, thechat-request at lists.evolt.org wrote:
>I've just been to a huge geek heaven store (Fry's) and checked out a ton of
>computers and monitors this past week and these are the prices and
>resolutions that I saw.

My goodness, Shirley. Please don't tell me you did all that research just
for *me* :)

>High end computer packages have 17" monitors set at 1024x768 (regular
>monitors and flatscreen), and the highest end had 19" monitors (regular
>monitors and flatscreen).

Hmmm... I must have assumed wrong. I thought that most new machines came
with 19" ones as standard.

>If you're into better graphics quality, you're probably looking at at least
>$500+ for a good 17" regular monitor.

Whoa. My 17" Samsung monitor (with 16" viewable area, 0.25 mm dot pitch)
costs $270, and things are more expensive in India. How is it so much more
expensive out there?

>HTH!

Indeed it does. So would it be fair to say that over the past few years,
average monitor sizes have been increasing? I need to make that statement
for an article I'm writing, so I want to be sure of my facts first ;)

Thanks,

Madhu

Madhu "MadMan" Menon
Defender of Justice, Destroyer of Evil, and Keeper of the Knowledge
Blog: http://madman.weblogs.com