[thechat] definition of success

rudy937 rudy937 at rogers.com
Wed Feb 6 08:44:00 CST 2002

affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure
the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in
others; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a
garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has
breathed easier because you have lived; this is to have succeeded."

that wasn't me, that was Ralph Waldo Emerson

it's the thought-of-the-day on http://www.refdesk.com/

it *really* picked me up

i've been feeling pretty low lately, reflecting on another seemingly
successful interview followed by another "we've decided to go with a
different candidate" rejection...

i've been "self-employed" for over a year now, and starting to wonder if i
will ever find another 9-to-5 job

not that i *want* a 9-to-5 job, you understand -- it's just that being
self-employed doesn't come anywhere near close enough to paying the rent

anyhow, here i am, cruising workopolis.ca and monster.ca in my jammies and
wondering how i managed to fuck up my life so badly...

and then i stumble across that emerson thought-of-the-day, and i realize i'm
an idiot

i've still got it better than 98% of the people on this planet, and i should
just quit feeling sorry for myself, concentrate more on doing the things
that i can do, and stop worrying about tomorrow -- tomorrow will look after
itself

i've got four happy, well-adjusted kids, several close friends, and i've got
my health and my sanity (or so it seems, but really, if i feel sane, that's
good enough, isn't it?)

thanks, mister we've-decided-to-go-with-a-different-candidate, but you
actually did me a favour, because i wouldn't have been happy there anyway

rudy