Athlete interviews... Re: [thechat] Olympics...

matthew garrett matthew.garrett at snet.net
Tue Feb 12 09:25:00 CST 2002

> From: "Luther, Ron" <Ron.Luther at COMPAQ.com>
>
> Don't get me started on the jingoistic Olympic reporting!

How 'bout "don't get me started on reporting in general".

Reporters keep asking the stupidest question in the world: "you just totally
kicked ass (or got your ass kicked), how does it feel? and what does it mean
to you, and your family, and your team, and your god?"

And then the athlete sez: "well it hasn't really sunk in yet" [that's
because it happened 20 seconds ago] or "well, you know, we just got beat. i
have to hand it to the other team, but we gave 'em some help too." or "the
[sponsor company name] car was really runnin' strong today, and the [sponsor
company name] crew kept us out of the pits and on the track. it was just
good racin'. i'd like to thank God, [sponsor company name], and my very
attractive wife."

I also would personally like to thank God for taking time out from famine
and war to make sure that good victories happen for quality folk.

Political version of bad reporting (in recent times):
reporter - when will we retaliate?
politician - against whom?
r - the bad guys
p - well, first we need to determine who the bad guys are.
r - so, when will we retaliate?
p - after we determine whom to retaliate against.
r - i see. When are you going to attack the enemy?
p - well, i don't think we should tell you, or the enemy, that.
r - right. So, when do you think the enemy should expect to be attacked?

Then there's the local news version:
reporter - What can you tell us about your neighbor who recently
    a) did something horrible
    b) had something horrible happen to them

neighbor - Well, they
    a) were quiet, and never bothered anyone. I can't believe it.
    b) were the nicest person you'd wanna meet. I can't believe it.

Celebrity/movie star version:
r - asks a question which allows celebrity to show us how much they put into
their craft.
c - answer which illustrates how hard they work, and how great (excuse me,
faaahbulous) all of the cast/crew was. oh, and how lucky they are.
r - asks a question to show that celebrity has other interests.
c - answer shows a deep concern for the human condition as it applies to the
common folk. somehow slips something in about the $1,500/day shiatsu massage
therapist that they have on hand at all times while filming/recording.
r - "You look great" (this much is usually true)
c - "Thank you"

o'kay, i'm ready for my workday now...

matt g