[thechat] Enterprise Manager is dead

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Tue Feb 12 10:40:00 CST 2002

I thought I'd give this a go here first since its slightly OT for thelist.

I'm running W2K Pro and have had SQL Enterprise Manager installed for
awhile.  At times, I've had both 7.0 and SQL Server 2000 client tools
installed.  A week or two ago, out of the blue, Enterprise Manager
stopped working.  I try to launch it and it gives me an error message
that says: "MMC  Snap-in failed to initialize".  Then it gives me the
CLSID of the snap-in, which appears to refer to a registry key that
registers the MMC component with MMC.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling a few times.  I also tried
uninstalling and then going in a deleting the registry keys for SQL
Sever and the registry key for the MMC snap-in corresponding to the
CLSID that it gave me in the error message.  No good.  When I reinstall,
I still get the same message.  Other MMC snap-ins (like Services) work,
so I don't think its a problem with MMC in general.

Any ideas about getting SQL Enterprise Manager back?  It's really kind
of a pain in the ass to manage an SQL Server system without it.

Thanks,
Judah