[thechat] the god game

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Tue Feb 19 16:35:00 CST 2002

On Tuesday, February 19, 2002, at 10:04  pm, Paul Cowan wrote:

> believing that it's rational to not believe

y'see, that's where the problem lies.

Belief is not rational. Faith (certainly in the Judeo-Christian
system) presupposes a lack of evidence - it's belief in
the face of non-evidence (either way).

Remember Jesus and Thomas? "Happy are those who
believe but have not seen"

I don't believe fish live in water - I *know* that fish live
in water.

Remember the old line about the difference between
knowledge and faith? I have faith that I am my son's
father. Lucy has knowledge.

What this does is conflate knowledge and belief.

Cheers
Martin
   tel:	+44 (0)774 063 9985				Edinburgh,