[thechat] the god game

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Wed Feb 20 13:28:00 CST 2002

On 19 Feb 2002 at 22:41, Joel Canfield posted a message which said:
> Well, technically, the Bible defines faith as something requiring
> evidence (Hebrews 11:1) but you weren't talking about the Bible, you
> were talking about religion ;)

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things
not seen."

The way I parse that verse, it says faith is all you have when there is
no concrete evidence.  How are you getting your interpretation out of
that verse?  Another translation?

deke

*Any great truth can -- and eventually will -- be expressed as a cliche
-- a cliche is a sure and certain way to dilute an idea. For instance,
my grandmother used to say, "The black cat is always the last one off
the fence." I have no idea what she meant, but at one time, it was
undoubtedly true. --
                       Solomon Short