SQL, gif, e-mail... (was Re: [thechat] who thought *this* was a good idea?)

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Thu Feb 21 11:33:01 CST 2002

SQL is pronounced "sequel"

...but a MySQL book (O'Rielly?) noted that when talking about the
software known as "mySQL" it's "my "ess cue ell."  So that's an
exception...

...which makes no sense at all.

I also say  pronounce "gif" like "jiff" (peanut butter), even though
logically I think the "g" should be hard.  But it's better to be
right than logical, right?

anyway... I *know* that I pronounce SQL and gif correctly... but when
the "correct" pronunciations are so stupid, it means that incorrect
pronunciations proliferate, and the proletariat who are incorrect
think that the elite who are correct are wrong... it takes all the
joy out of being right.  It's hard to gloat when you have to
constantly defend your correctness.

Now don't get me started on writing issues: e-mail vs. email and Web vs. web...

- E

PS I dated this geek a few years back who challenged me to pronounce
"SQL."  I didn't know wtf it was at the time, so I guessed,
"squirrel?"