SQL, gif, e-mail... (was Re: [thechat] who thought *this* was a good idea?)

Tamara Abbey abbey at abbeyink.com
Thu Feb 21 12:13:00 CST 2002

At 09:33 AM 2/21/2002 -0800, Erika Meyer wrote:
>SQL is pronounced "sequel"
>
>...but a MySQL book (O'Rielly?) noted that when talking about the
>software known as "mySQL" it's "my "ess cue ell."  So that's an
>exception...
>
>...which makes no sense at all.

I had it explained to me that MS folks say *sequel,* Open Source types lean
toward *ess cue ell* -- mostly just to differentiate themselves.

>I also say  pronounce "gif" like "jiff" (peanut butter), even though
>logically I think the "g" should be hard.  But it's better to be
>right than logical, right?

FROM: Steve Wilhite
TO: 'Lynda Weinman'
SUBJECT: RE: GIF pronunciation
DATE: Mon, 11 Aug 1997

a soft G as in jiffy

         source: creative html design by Lynda Weinman and William Weinman

Lynda Weinman agrees with Erika, it should be a hard g since it stands for
Graphics, but Steve Wilhite explains:

"That is the way I pronounced from day one and it stuck. No other reason."

(there, another expensive book is actually useful in its own way)

tamara