SQL, gif, e-mail... (was Re: [thechat] who thought *this* was a good idea?)

Miriam Frost miriam at members.evolt.org
Thu Feb 21 13:48:00 CST 2002

> just for a second, think about what you're pronouncing.  it's an acronym.
> that usually (except only in *very* rare cases) means you pronounce each
> letter individually, rather than the string as a word made up by the
sounds
> that combined letters might make.
> in other words, it's "ess cue ell" and nothing else.

So do you personally say, "gee eye eff" or "jay pee eee gee"?

> i pronounce it "gif" (like gift, but without the "t") because that's how i
> originally learned to pronounce it.  somehow, pronouncing it like "jiff"
> just feels wrong to me, probably because the name sounds so similar to
> "jay-peg".

Aaahhhhhh
OK! Now I see your logic here, you twisty one! You're trying to point out
that since they're not real words anyway it doesn't matter and this is a
silly discussion to get really worked up about, but being sly.

kiss kiss bang bang
mimi

--
http://www.dynagirl.com