SQL, gif, e-mail... (was Re: [thechat] who thought *this* was agood idea?)

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Thu Feb 21 21:26:00 CST 2002

On 21 Feb 2002 at 9:50, David McCreath posted a message which said:

> As for GIF, it stands for "Graphics Interchange Format", so why would
> you pronounce it "jif"? I've never understood that. I've always said
> "ghif".

You obviously don't understand the Cowlumbus accent.
Around CompuServe ten years ago, you'd get looked at
*really* funny if you pronounced it with a hard G, as in Guff.

Guy who had the cubicle behind me used to have a Dilbert cartoon
up. Pointed headed boss was coming around telling everyone that
the company needs more eunich programmers. Dilbert said it was
"unix" programmers, not "eunich" programmers. Pointy headed boss
said that if the company nurse stopped by, to tell her never mind.

Linux is pronounced exactly like Linus, except with a cks ending
instead of an s ending. Of course, Linus Torvalds pronounces his
own name a little different than Lucy's little brother with the blanket
pronounces the same name.

deke

*Any great truth can -- and eventually will -- be expressed as a cliche
-- a cliche is a sure and certain way to dilute an idea. For instance,
my grandmother used to say, "The black cat is always the last one off
the fence." I have no idea what she meant, but at one time, it was
undoubtedly true. --
                       Solomon Short