SQL, gif, e-mail... (was Re: [thechat] who thought *this* was a good idea?)

Joel Canfield Joel at spinhead.com
Fri Feb 22 00:38:00 CST 2002

>sorry, erika, it is not

Um, isn't it pronounced however people pronounce it?

We're falling into the same trap as people who think a dictionary is a
rulebook, when it is, in fact, merely a snapshot of the language at the
moment it was written down. Only dead languages stop changing, including
pronounciation.

When I talk about a 'sequel' database, I'll bet you know what I mean, don't
you?

>how do you pronounce FBI?  feebee?  fuhbee?  effbye?

I say 'fobby,', pause, then add the 'o'

>how do you pronounce CPU?   kapoo?  kipyoo?

I frequently pronounce it "k'pew!" but only my youngest thinks it's funny.

>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/1999Oct/0079.html
>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/1999Oct/0080.html
>by ryan fischer (thelist subscriber, coiuncidentally)
>
>just because some microsoft weenies, er, excuse me, just
>because some people pronounce it "squeal" or "sequel" does not
>make it right

Correct! What makes it right is whether or not it is commonly understood.
Not whether or not it follows someone's preconceived notion of language
rules.

>as for gif, it's a soft g, like geranium
>
>why?  because the guy that invented it says so, that's why!!

reminds me of an interesting story Isaac Asimov told once.

>(hurl, er, i mean url upon request)
>
>rudy

With profound apologies for my obnoxiously excessively didactic attitude
this evening.

joel