[thechat] Curling

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Sat Feb 23 04:03:01 CST 2002

On Friday, February 22, 2002, at 06:22  pm, Freda Lockert wrote:

>> FWIW the only reason Scotland is part of Britain is that the Scottish
>> Parliament voted to adjourn itself in 1707 and join the English one,
>>
> And now the only constituent part of the UK that doesn't have its own
> 'national' assembly is England.

I think you'll find that it does, and it's called Westminster, but it
has had 300 years of being able to also rule Scotland and
600 years of being able to rule Wales.

It was said after the Union that you might as well have
as many armchairs sitting in Westminster as Scottish
MPs for all the influence they had over the decisions
Westminster took.

You'd get situations where the party holding 11 (out of 72)
parliamentary seats in Scotland claimed that as a mandate
to govern (the case from 1992 until 1997).

So I think it's a bit rich for England to start whining now.

Cheers
Martin
   tel:	+44 (0)774 063 9985				Edinburgh,