4 or 5 pounds of meat each (was RE: [thechat] Nuthin like a Texas yo-yo)

mccreath mccreath at ak.net
Fri Mar 1 01:27:01 CST 2002

Good question, Joel. I have to admit that I haven't learned that much about
native culture since I moved up here a couple of years ago. I believe that
part of a potlatch is taking something home with you, though, not so much
about endurance. The whole thing is about community and sharing.

I'm going to have a chance to learn more about it in a couple of weeks, when
I take a 10 course in Inupiat mask carving from a guy who lives up on the
northwest coast. If I get a chance, I'll ask him about the potlatch.

David