[thechat] Developers without websites?

Andrew Forsberg andrew at thepander.co.nz
Tue Mar 5 23:55:01 CST 2002

>i worry more about posting the same stuff that all the other bloggers do

sounds like the modernist maxim 'make it new'. how about a blog which
carries statistics of all the other blogs which have blogged the same
blog? that'd be a *real* borg blog. and i just bet you've already got
the db structure to hold all that info sorted out already. :-)

>and i steadfastly refuse to talk about mundane stuff like my root canal or
>it's raining outside or oh weren't those canadian nhlers better than the
>american nhlers

like everything there are ways and then there are ways. like joe's
charcoal cat sketch. cool, but still a cat, like the three million
./~myacesiteabouttildethecat/ but not like it... anyhoo.

>not that i have a problem with sites that do that, but i don't want to be
>one of them

i've always liked the idea of sites mapping other sites in an
unpredictable way. blogs are like that a bit, but usually not as cool
as, say, that whacko  project of jodi.org's which looked like a
pilot's diagram of a continent with dynamically generated green lines
to indicate references and cross-references. truly weird, i do hope
someone's archiving all that stuff.

it is still a rocken project, imo, though my favourite jodi.org
experiment was about 3 to 4 years back when they turned your browser
into a lava lamp. second favourite jodi.org was the game sod (for
those who missed it i might still have win executables, definitely
have mac execs on backup somewhere). it was a port of wolfenstein
with customizable maps, black and white graphics, and used system gui
components for the 3d environment. how scary can three # signs
rushing at you be? you'll never know till you play... think bauhaus
meets your OS's widgets meets the original wolfenstein -- your pistol
rendered as a black ball which expands to fill the screen when fired,
shotguns as two black balls (double barrelled).

>joe opined:
>>  But I've learned most of what I know
>>  via lists and by experimenting myself. :-\
>
>kids, go visit joe's lab
>
>you will be impressed

neat. though the $HTTP_HOST article was on the terse side. still,
what more can you say... :-)

cheers
andrew