[thechat] networking fun and a stupid question

Shirley Kaiser, SKDesigns skaiser1 at skdesigns.com
Sun Mar 10 02:59:00 CST 2002

At 12:37 AM 3/10/2002, Andrew Forsberg <andrew at thepander.co.nz> typed:

> >Yup! Win types can fill in the how-to gaps. In New Zealand it's
> >cheaper to have an ADSL line + phone than to have two phone lines.
> >Even the traffic charges for ADSL tend to work out cheaper than the
> >charge-per-minute dial-up costs for most people. Some ADSL modems
> >even come with a built in hub or switch, so it's a win-win
> >situation.
> >I don't know what the charges are like in your area, but
> >since you've
> >wired the house this might be a good time to look into getting a
> >dedicated connection.

Andrew, yes, that's exactly what I'm planning to do, probably within the
next 1-2 months. I now have a couple of possible services available where I
am after one company jackhammered the street in front of my house to lay
the cable underground and drove me nuts for over 2 days recently while my
entire house vibrated. <chuckle>... (yeah, now I can laugh....)

So I'm also in the midst of checking with people around here to see what
their experience is, what's more reliable here, etc.

>Once you have the machines talking to each other this is what you
>need:
>
>http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/proxy.htm
>
>A proxy server to allow any machine access to the net, via the one
>main machine, which has to be connected of course.
>
>This is a lot easier to set up than Windows internet sharing.

Ah, wonderful!! Thank you, Tony! Yes, I was looking at the Windows Internet
sharing but hadn't gotten that far yet.... and I'm glad I hadn't gotten
that far yet as the AnalogX Proxy server stuff sounds absolutely perfect.
I'll move forward with this then.

Thank you, thank you!

Ah, you're all wonderful. I really appreciate the feedback and advice so much.

As long as I've used a computer and had Internet access, I still don't take
for granted how fabulous it is to be able to send out a note and get
answers back like this from all the kind, helpful people out there. This
technology is really fantastic for helping to connect us all like this.

Thank you!

Warmly,
Shirley

Shirley E. Kaiser, M.A.,  SKDesigns  mailto:skaiser1 at skdesigns.com