[thechat] Exciting news (for me anyway)... and site check (mo re or less)

Paul Cowan paul at wishlist.com.au
Mon Mar 11 14:26:00 CST 2002

Hi all,

Thanks for all your good wishes, I'll be sure to pass them on to my two
beautiful girls.

> I was just trying to figure out that 103 hours business. Add 4 days, 7
> hours and 32 minutes to April 7, 8.11 PM, and it appears that the
> pictures were taken tomorrow morning at 3:43 AM. I know Oz is a bit
> ahead of us in terms of time zones, but that's 16 hours ahead for me,
> here on the right coast of the USA. The pictures must be hot off the
> presses!

Yep! In fact, that must be where my hosting service is located, because I
had to fiddle with it quite a bit to get the 16 hour gap right. At the
moment, the site shows 107 hours, and it's 7:23AM Melbourne time.

Really, we're 8 hours behind New York, sort of, but there's a date line in
the middle -- so we're actually 16 hours ahead. We're at UTC+10, New York
must be at UTC-6 -- no, UTC-5, because we're in Daylight Savings Time
("Summer Time", I believe they call it ex-Australia). I'm too lazy to check
my facts, but that sounds right. :)

Side note: ASP has no function to obtain the time zone of the local sever
(that I'm aware of), so I couldn't really automate the time zone correction
-- I had to have an include file with a constant in it (yuk!). I should, if
I can be bothered, be able to make it so that I have a COM callthrough to a
java class to get the local timezone... should only be a few lines of code.
I'll share it with [thelist] if I get around to it (unless someone has a
better solution).

Thanks again for your kind thoughts.

Paul