[thechat] microsoft rant (part 2)

rudy rudy937 at rogers.com
Fri Mar 15 11:55:00 CST 2002

so i've downloaded and executed the patch checker

it suggested that i install it into

   C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp

the instructions say

   4. At a command prompt, locate the folder that you created.
   5. Type hfnetchk -v -z -s 1 , and then press Enter

first of all, what's a command prompt?  i always use window-r to bring up
the run prompt

the Run box allows you to navigate to a particular folder, but then when i
add the -v -z -s 1 parameters and run it, i see zoooo-o-o-o-om a black
screen come up and disappear so fast that i have no idea what happened

aha, i thinks, something ran (i have a pretty fast machine here) -- but DID
IT WORK?

fucking microsoft

okay, now i know a little, and i also know that a little bit of knowledge is
a dangerous thing, but this time i bring up the Run box and type in
"command"

now the little black window doesn't die, right?  heh

<RANT>
how is the **average** person supposed to know what "At a command prompt"
means???? and how long is it supposed to take them to figure it out?
</RANT>

okay, so i navigate -- thank god for my DOS experience -- to the folder
where the hotfix checker lives, and i type in

  hfnetchk -v -s -z 1

what do i get?

  parameter <-z> for command -s is invalid, out of range or missing
  Error: ** Error on the command line. See below for correct syntax **

can you spot what i did wrong?

yeah

anyhow, i finally get the thing to run, and here's what it tells me --

* WINDOWS 2000 SP2

 Patch NOT Found MS02-001 Q311401
 File C:\WINNT\system32\advapi32.dll has an invalid checksum and its
 file version is equal to or less than what is expected.

 Patch NOT Found MS02-013 Q300845
 File C:\WINNT\system32\msjava.dll has an invalid checksum and its
 file version is equal to or less than what is expected.

 * INTERNET EXPLORER 5.5 SP2

 Information
 All necessary hotfixes have been applied.

would somebody kindly like to interpret whether or not my win2000 is okay?

these patches that it didn't find -- how come it didn't find them?

when i re-installed win2kpro this week, i made *sure* i got the latest
version, by running the WIndows Update feature that was placed on my Start
bar

i am so pissed off

rudy

by the way, i was able to reproduce that weird error i got when clicking on
the download link --

   An error occurred rendering the requested content.
   The underlying connection was closed: The request was canceled.

typical ASP programming, if you ask me

thanks for nothing, bill