[thechat] microsoft rant (part 2)

Eike Pierstorff eike.p at t-online.de
Sat Mar 16 18:28:00 CST 2002

> > I know what you feel like. Currently I'm trying to figure out what
> > "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" is supposed to mean.
>
> blue screen of death (BSOD) -- a symptom of something seriously wrong
								^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I knew that.

>     IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL - was bedeutet das?
>     Wenn beim Booten ein Blue-Screen auftaucht und dabei die
>     Fehlermeldung IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL im Spiel ist,
>     bedeutet das meist, das ein Gerätetreiber versuchte auf einen
>     Speicherbereich zuzugreifen, auf den er nicht zugreifen darf.
>                 http://www.nickles.de/nt/faq/index.php3?cmd=lt&t=91
>
> [ so habe ich auch manche ohrpfeigen bekommen -- ich versuche
> auf etwas
> zuzugreifen, auf die, ich meine, auf den ich nicht zugreifen
> soll... ;o) ]

Auch das habe ich gewusst. Aber das hier ist ein Notebook ohne
zusätzlich angeschlossene Hardware, und es ist über einige Monate
problemlos gelaufen. Warum nun also plötzlich so ein Problem?

Actually I'm not really interessed in what it means, I'm just trying to
get rid of it. "Some thing or the other tries to access memory segments
it shouldn't" is not really a helpfull message, but it's propably
impossible to get more information without signing up for MSDN or
something.

> in my case i'm pretty sure something got corrupted by the
> nimda virus --
> symantec has a downloadable removal tool
> (http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.nimda.a@mm.htm
> l) that will
> scan your machine and remove it, but in my case i had to
> re-install windows
> to get rid of it, and lose a week of productivity getting everything
> reinstalled afterwards...

Yes. When I still had an employer, we used to have image files from
every machine. So, if you can't fix a problem within 15 minutes,
re-install, it'll take less time. But at home... Oh well, it's still
weekend.

They say that "every man needs a hobby" and so Bill Gates grew rich.

-- eike