[thechat] Thanks: Networking, Win2000 vs. WinXP

Shirley Kaiser, SKDesigns skaiser at skdesigns.com
Sun Mar 17 03:36:00 CST 2002

Hi, everyone,

I want to thank you all for the fantastic, helpful feedback regarding my
questions with getting networking going on my win98se computer with no more
slots for a network card last week or so.

I ended up going with a USB adapter, which was suggested here. And I also
ended up going with a Linksys wireless/cable/DSL router so I can actually
take my laptop outside to work still connected, and I can hardly wait until
the latest storm passes and the spring-like weather returns again to do
exactly that (I've wanted to do this for so long!).

I'm still on a 56K dial-up modem, but the fiber optics cable folks just
finished in our area and I signed up for that to be installed in a week or
two. So I'm getting all set up here with my 4 computers getting networked
together (I've got 3 networked right now, and I'll add the 4th in a month
or two).

And I'll stick with Win2000, too, and avoid WinXP for awhile longer.

My home office has taken a major leap here, thanks to all your great
feedback and advice. I can tell I've really gone over the edge because I've
actually had FUN doing all this and then seeing all the computers show up
in my computers' network neighborhood areas. <chuckle>

Well, thanks again to all. Your help made all the difference for me, and
I'm thrilled to finally get these computers networked and to fulfill my
dream of getting to work on the patio outside via my laptop when the
weather clears, too.

Thanks!!

Warmly,
Shirley