[thechat] winXP vs. win2000

Shirley Kaiser, SKDesigns skaiser1 at skdesigns.com
Mon Mar 18 06:48:00 CST 2002

At 02:38 PM 3/12/2002, rudy typed:
>okay, obviously, for the two or three of you who are still reading this far,
>i did finally manage to get everything more or less back to normal, but i
>have one question -- i've been using pc's since the mid-80's, and
>HOW COME I STILL DON'T KNOW THIS SHIT??
>
>i can **really** empathise with people who are afraid to download and
>install a new browser
>
>the stress level, when you're dealing with something you know very little
>about, is quite high
>
>yeah, maybe i should know hardware/software, but i don't
>
>it totally blows me away when somebody like shirley undertakes to set up a
>home network -- i'd rather have a root canal

Ah, well, I had great pointers from the folks here, too. Actually, Rudy, it
wasn't hard to do at all. I'd set up the ethernet connection a couple of
weeks ago. Then this past weekend I went ahead with the
wireless/cable/dsl/broadband router especially so I could use my laptop
anywhere within range (especially outside on the patio when the weather's
nice!). It only took about 3 hours.... it really wasn't a big deal at all.

I spent more time setting up file sharing permissions on each computer when
I finished! ;-) But I had some movies going and took my time.

>by the next time something bad happens to my machine, i'll be off the 1-year
>service plan, so i'm hoping shirley and spinhead and i are still on good
>terms...

<chuckle> Yeah, I'm not going anywhere, Rudy.

This is my first adventure into the world of networking, so I'm just a
newbie at this.... I learned enough to fulfill my dreams of getting my
computers linked finally and to work outside on my laptop when I wish.
People here helped with some great tips, and especially Joel gave me moral
support off-list, too, (and thanks again!) -- especially when I found the
installed Win2K device driver for my Handspring Visor USB cradle isn't
compatible with Win2K (all factory installed).

Screwy deal -- just how is it that the Win2K CD has a device driver on it
that's not compatible with Win2K?!?!?

Fortunately I solved it by plugging the Visor cradle in to my laptop's USB
port instead (also a Dell with Win2K.... it must have a different device
driver.... I'll check one of these days. But all I care right now is that
it works!).

[I had to move the Visor cradle to a different computer to free up a USB
port to install the USB network adapter for the computer without a free
slot for a network card.]

>i'm gonna need them

Well, Rudy, maybe I should tease you about bribes or something..... but
I'll opt out for being nice just this once. <grin> Bribe Joel, though. He's
the one who knows his stuff about all this hardware. I do maintain and fix
up my computers myself, but I'm better at Photoshop and playing the piano. ;-)

Warmly,
Shirley

Shirley E. Kaiser, M.A.,  SKDesigns  mailto:skaiser1 at skdesigns.com
Website Design, Development      http://www.skdesigns.com/