[thechat] microsoft rant (part 3)

Ben Dyer ben_dyer at imaginuity.com
Mon Mar 18 10:11:01 CST 2002

On 04:47 PM 3/16/2002, Nicole Parrot said to me:
>Well, "easier to use" is often a question of what you're used to.
>Each time I use a MAC, regardless of the software version on it, I get to
>crash it within 5 minutes. I'm not kidding.
>My last job, I had to write my performance review on a software that was
>purely MAC. I pleaded if I could hand it in some other format but it was
>refused. I obediently sat in front of the MAC, and managed to freeze the
>whole MAC network . 5 minutes. tops.
>
>There's just something about the MAC interface that doesn't speak to me.  We
>now have OSX at home (yeah, I crash it too, but a bit less frequently).

Wow.  I've never seen anyone truly crash Mac OS X.  I've even tried to
myself, couldn't do it.  Internet Explorer has a nagging habit of bailing
out about three times a day, but the whole app just feels like it was
hastily ported to OS X.

<ramble>
Anyways, in response to everything else, yeah, Macs don't always have the
apps or drivers.  Whatever.  It has what I need and there are substitutes
for most everything.  I'm pretty platform agnostic at this point.  Macs
just seem to work better, that's all.   My work timesheet usually has about
two, three hours a week for updating patches for servers and local machines
and what not for all these W2K machines.  I'm on my fourth hard drive and
my third clean OS install.  Mac OS X politely reminds me once in a while
when there are new updates, and VersionTracker usually covers me for
everything else.

In the 18 years or so I've used Macs, I can only remember maybe two
significant problems: I had a major system barf somewhere around System 7.5
after installing too many extensions (required a HD format), and the logic
board gave out on my iBook about five months ago because I abuse my poor
laptop a lot.
</ramble>

Meh.  Whatever.  Production Meeting time now.  Yawn.

--Ben

http://www.imaginuity.com/

     If you save the world too often, it begins to expect it.