[thechat] microsoft rant (part 2)

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Wed Mar 20 11:43:10 CST 2002

On 18 Mar 2002 at 15:38, Olly posted a message which said:

> > > Except that I *need* a floppy drive. Not just a 3.5" microfloppy,
> > > but a 5.25" minifloppy as well. I have data on those disks. And
> > > occasionally, I need to run software that's on a copy-protected disk
> > > to *access* that data.

> > Get yourself a USB floppy drive then :-)

> Of course some people out there still need them for legacy applications
> (or just to pass that word file to a non-networked person across the
> room, etc etc), but (in the eyes of the computer manufacturers) there is
> no longer a need for them to be supplied with every PC by default. Those
> people that do need them can pop down to PC World and buy an inexpensive
> USB floppy.

Tell you what. Can you pop down to PC World and take a look at that
inexpensive USB floppy that will read a standard 5.25" high density
diskette?

Let me know who manufactures it.  The folks at the local computer store
tell me there ain't no such animal, and I have been unable to google on
anything that would disprove that.

deke

*Any great truth can -- and eventually will -- be expressed as a cliche
-- a cliche is a sure and certain way to dilute an idea. For instance,
my grandmother used to say, "The black cat is always the last one off
the fence." I have no idea what she meant, but at one time, it was
undoubtedly true. --
                       Solomon Short