[thechat] Re: more pictures of Anchorage

David McCreath dwmccreath at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 20 19:34:00 CST 2002

My ISP officially sucks at running mail servers. We've
had three outages  this month, and there are some
really freaky delay issues. So I'm responding to
messages that I saw in the archive. Note to self: set
up an SMTP server on that old box at home.

Rudy:

I'm still investigating that white stuff ... er ...

Ron:

I didn't want to sink too much money into a digital
camera until I figured out how much I would actually
use it for anything besides taking snapshots for the
web. So ...

I went with an Olympus D-510 Zoom. It's a 2.1
megapixel and has the form factor of a normal compact
camera, so it's a good midrange between
just-a-snapshot-web-quality-only camera and a
print-copies-for-grandma camera. It also shoots
QuickTime movies. I got a 128 meg memory card for it,
so I can get up to 45 seconds or so of video, and a
PILE (250+) of pictures, even at 1600 x 1200 (which is
the default). The zoom is 3x optical and 9x digital.

The only thing that I'm not crazy about is that I
can't seem to set a lower default resolution. Most of
the time, I'd be just as happy shooting at 1024 x 780.
Of course, with that 128 meg card, it's not a big
deal.

I got it for $300 at CompUSA, because that was the
only place in town that had it. I'm pretty sure that
large city in the lower 48 will have it cheaper than
that at some mega-electronics store.

Re: walking to work -- You're in Houston now, right?
We were down there last Christmas visiting friends,
and Katie walked to a gym to work out one day. The
hotel staff were flabbergasted. (I lived in Houston
twice, for one year each time. That's all I could take
before fleeing back to Austin and the Hill Country.)

David